Hi, Spaneasiers! Today’s recipe is one of the most typical desserts in Spain, the Catalan Cream Brûlée (known as “Crema Catalana” in Spain), which as its name suggests is very popular in Catalonia but has already become a dessert that is enjoyed everywhere. Here we leave you this recipe step by step to practise how to make it when you finish your Spanish lessons until you make it perfectly.
Ingredients (4 or 6 servings)
- 1 litre milk
- 6 large egg yolks
- 100 grams of sugar
- A little more sugar to caramelize on top
- 40 grams of cornstarch
- 1/2 orange skin
- 1/2 lemon skin
- A cinnamon twig about the size of a finger
- Put 1 litre of milk in a saucepan. Add the skin of half an orange, the skin of half a lemon and the cinnamon twig. Leave on medium high heat until the milk almost boils and then remove from the heat. Cover the saucepan and let the milk for 30 minutes.
- After this time put in a bowl 6 large egg yolks, add 100 grams of sugar and mix. Then add 40 cornstarch and mix again just a little.
- Now put a strainer of fine mesh over the bowl where the eggs are and strain the milk. Mix until everything is well mixed.
- Pour the contents of the bowl into a pot and leave over medium heat without stopping stirring with a wooden spoon or a silicone spatula. To know when crema catalana is made, you have to look at the back of the spoon. The cream will be ready when you will see a dense layer on the back of the spoon.
- When the cream has thickened, we immediately remove it from the fire.
- Put a fine mesh sieve over a large bowl and strain the cream.
- Divide the cream into 6 small pots or into 4 larger ones and let them cool before covering them with plastic wrap and putting them in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- When they are cooled, add a little sugar above before serving and with the help of a kitchen torch caramelize the sugar so that it forms a crispy and thin layer of caramel.
Now you only have to enjoy your crema catalana and that’s it! So, it’s time to surprise your family and friends by cooking this delicious cream.